Thursday, April 9, 2015

The scoop on my coop...

So, the first thing on the agenda once we (I) decided to get a few backyard chickens was to get a coop.  Many things were to be considered, but for me one of the most important issues was mobility.  I'm not sure why that was so important to me, but when considering the freedom to move to fresh grass on a regular basis, this seems like something I needed to do.  So far so good; the mobility issue has worked out rather well.  Although during the winter, I considered a stationary coop with sand or something similar in the bottom run might be a good thing too, all in all, I am very happy with the coop decision that I made.  Lots of things are important... square footage per hen, run space, ventilation, nesting space, cost, and (of course) cuteness.  When it was time to make the final decision, cuteness swayed the vote.

Below is a picture of the selection I made.  This coop was built by the gentleman at Heritage Ways Farm.  He delivered it, set it in just the right spot and was wonderful to work with.  His craftsmanship is awesome and I highly recommend him and his coops.  He makes a variety of sizes and a few different styles.  This is his barn style and the smallest size 6'x8'.  I added a weather vane and the star and some wooden hens on the nest doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment