Thursday, April 9, 2015

Our first loss...

About four weeks after we got our pullets, we had our first loss.  Olive (named for my paternal grandmother) was always the smallest, shiest, and hardest to catch.  One day I found her just sitting under that hanging waterer and not running away when I tried to handle her.  This was not a good sign.  I brought her in and set her up in a little pet carrier.  I gave her extra water with electrolytes in it by feeding her with the end of a straw.  She ate and drank and made it through the night, but didn't seem to improve significantly.  A friend and fellow chicken chick brought me some antibiotics and I gave her a little, but the next morning she was gone.  Goodbye little Olive.  I'm sorry I was so inexperienced at this point and didn't know more about caring for sick little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment